Friday, March 30, 2012

Question about Running Totals in a Matrix

I am having problems specifying a running total within a matrix. I have
monthly values in the columns of the matrix so that I am displaying Month To
Date (MTD) sales numbers in the data. I would like to use a running total
across months to get a YTD report. I am trying to add a row group to the
matrix and define an expression referencing the RunningValue of the
salesamout field.
I get errors about running values cannot be used in group expressions. How
would I solve this problem?You can use the RunningValue function in matrix headers and in matrix cells
(which seems what you want to achieve), but not in the matrix grouping
expression. Therefore, just use a grouping expression like
=Fields!Month.Value for the column grouping and use a function in the matrix
cell similar to: =RunningValue(Fields!Sales.Value, Sum,
"CategoryYearGrouping") - where CategoryYearGrouping would represent the
parent group of the month grouping. See also:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rscreate/htm/rcr_creating_expressions_v1_5tt1.asp
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Mark" <Mark@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6B23ECD0-8C7F-4AF1-A414-1A712E686303@.microsoft.com...
> I am having problems specifying a running total within a matrix. I have
> monthly values in the columns of the matrix so that I am displaying Month
To
> Date (MTD) sales numbers in the data. I would like to use a running total
> across months to get a YTD report. I am trying to add a row group to the
> matrix and define an expression referencing the RunningValue of the
> salesamout field.
> I get errors about running values cannot be used in group expressions. How
> would I solve this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment