Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Question about reportBuilder (Installation)

Hi !

I've already ask this question a couple of weeks ago but nobody answer me so i'll ask again .

We have a web application using ReportServer. Some of our client want to be able to create their own reports and to add them. So we thought that ReportBuilder could be a good idea. We would create model for them and using ReportBuilder they could create easily their reports.

My question is how can i install ReportBuilder ? What i mean is reportBuilder seems to be working fine when he is install on the Server. What i want is to install ReportBuilder on different computer and configue ReportBuilder to connect to the Server. Is it possible ? How ? Do we need to buy licence ?

Thanks !

Report builder is a thin client application. And it will be installed on the computer when it is called for the first time. So it doesn't need to be pre-installed. I also don't think it uses seperate licening because it is a part of sql server 2005.

If you don't want the users to open report builder through Report Manager, you can always call report builder through url access. That way report builder will be opend (or installed if it's the first time you call it) directly.

More info about these url access:
Bob Meyers blog: Report Builder launch parameters: http://blogs.msdn.com/bobmeyers/archive/2006/01/24/517083.aspx

I hope this helps!

|||Thanks a lot !!!! This is exactly what i was looking for !!|||

I have a similar problem.

I do see Report Builder button on the Server, but do not see it from a remote machine in Report Manager.

Yes I can Report Builder with http://<servername>/reportserver/reportbuilder/reportbuilder.application

How do I make the Report Builder button appear on remote machines?

Thanks

|||

Rob68:

Please see these MSDN articles:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365173.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159667.aspx

|||

Hypo,

Thanks for leading me in the right direction, but my problem is still unresolved.

These articles state: Assign to a user the roles of Report Builder and System User.

I can assign the role of Report Builder but do not see any way of assigning the role of the System User.

What am I missing? I am, BTW, using Report Manager in SQL Server 2005. It comes with these two roles pre-defined.

thanks

|||

Hi, do it from the Report Manager web page:

site settings -> Configure site-wide security -> New Role Assignment -> add user to 'System User'

Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment