Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Question about querying across servers

Hi,
We have 8 sites running each one a SQL Server.
Clients can connect to any of these sites to get information.
Now we want to have an 'extra site'. Clients that connect to this site
will be able to get information from the previous 8 sites. I mean, this
extra site, will contain all the data of the other 8 sites.
Ex.
Site 1 has a table called 'Persons' with a record called 'John'
Site 3 has a table called 'Persons' with a record 'Peter'
If I query for all persons on site 1, I get 'John'
However, If I query for all persons in that extra site, I get 'John' and
'Peter'
1. What is the best way to do this? I have been looking at linked
servers but it's not clear to me... I'm not sure if this is a solution.
2. Should I transfer all the data phisically from Site1->Extra Site,
Site2->Extra site... ?
3. On the other hand, how do I distinguish primary keys? Let's suppose that
primary key for 'John' on site 1 is 1000, and 'Peter' on site 3 is also
1000. Could this cause some problems?
Thanks a lot.Will the New sites will be added on a periodic basis , or the developer is
adding settings for new sites ?
U can use linked servers for this process than replication
first register the link server , then in queries use the
linkserver..dbname.table for querying
thanks
"Star" wrote:

> Hi,
> We have 8 sites running each one a SQL Server.
> Clients can connect to any of these sites to get information.
> Now we want to have an 'extra site'. Clients that connect to this site
> will be able to get information from the previous 8 sites. I mean, this
> extra site, will contain all the data of the other 8 sites.
> Ex.
> Site 1 has a table called 'Persons' with a record called 'John'
> Site 3 has a table called 'Persons' with a record 'Peter'
> If I query for all persons on site 1, I get 'John'
> However, If I query for all persons in that extra site, I get 'John' and
> 'Peter'
> 1. What is the best way to do this? I have been looking at linked
> servers but it's not clear to me... I'm not sure if this is a solution.
> 2. Should I transfer all the data phisically from Site1->Extra Site,
> Site2->Extra site... ?
> 3. On the other hand, how do I distinguish primary keys? Let's suppose tha
t
> primary key for 'John' on site 1 is 1000, and 'Peter' on site 3 is also
> 1000. Could this cause some problems?
> Thanks a lot.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment